We made it to Memphis! It was the longest drive EVER to get here, and I am sure glad that we don't have to do it again for 3 or 4 more years!! The first day of driving was by far the worst. We left Richfield at 7AM on Tuesday July 31st and drove ALL DAY LONG. We only stopped the first day to gas up and eat. It was seriously the longest day ever. All I could think about during the drive was, why would you ever want to be a truck driver? I mean really, it has got to be the worst job ever! We got to Hays Kansas around 9 on Tuesday night and spent the night there. The next day, we drove to Kansas City Missouri and we were actually really excited because we had a couple of stops planned along the way.
Downtown Kansas City
Crossing the Missouri River
Our first stop was the new Kansas City Temple that was just barely dedicated this year. It was beautiful!
Our next stop was the Liberty Jail. Steve and I went there while we were on the Church History Trip in 2006, but my mum had never been there before so she really wanted to see it.
I loved the strong spirit we felt there, and the love that you can't help but feel for Joseph Smith while visiting the jail.
After our tour of the jail, we drove out to Adam-ondi-Ahman. It was beautiful and SO big! When we visited this spot on the CHT, I don't remember it being so massive.
The fields and trees cover hundreds of acres! It is crazy because everywhere surrounding Adam-ondi-Ahman is in a drought. All of the corn fields and other crops were brown and dry as can be. But the fields of Adam-ondi-Ahman were lush green and beautiful. Pretty Amazing!
Another bridge on the outside of Kansas City.
After our stops at the church history sites, we drove about 4 more hours to get to St. Louis to spend the night. The next morning we went to see the Gateway Arch.
We rode the tram all the way to the top of the arch!
Dad, mum, and me waiting to take the tram to the top.
View from the top
The view from the other side of the top of the arch.
The tiny little cubby holes we had to ride in to the top of the arch! We couldn't believe how many people could squish inside of there!
After we saw the arch, it was about a 5 hour drive down to Memphis. When we drove across the river into Memphis, I may or may not have started to cry. Partly because I was so happy we didn't have to drive anymore, and partly because it all finally felt real. And I may or may not have told Steve that I wasn't going to stay there with him....I planned on flying home with my parents and just coming back to see Steve in a couple of months! ha
After we unloaded everything out of the moving truck, and unpacked most of our stuff inside our apartment, we took my parents to see some of the sights in the city.
Welcome to Memphis!
Welcome to Memphis!
Riding the tram to Mud Island
A view of downtown Memphis from Mud Island.
My mom wanted to go see Graceland because apparently she is an Elvis fan?! Who knew? But after paying 10 bucks just to park and then walking in to Graceland only to find out that it costs like 70 bucks per person to see his house, cars, and airplanes, we decided none of us really liked Elvis that much! ha So we just took a couple of pictures and left.
We have been in Memphis for a little over a week now, and other than the fact that it is REALLY HOT and HUMID, so far we really like it. I'm just praying that we can survive this humidity for the next 3 years!:)
No comments:
Post a Comment